Thursday, January 15, 2009

Morbid Amusement

This is the poem I intended to write in the last post before my brain kind of made a wrong turn somewhere.I first saw it many years ago,and as an occasional depressed person(okay maybe a little more than occasional)who enjoys humor and poetry when they're combined I really liked this.If I wasn't a guy(I'm certainly not a boy,I don't feel mature enough to be man,and male sounds too uptight for me)I might even call it cute.Anyway I read it again recently and remembered about it so here it is.Its by Dorothy Parker.

Razors pain you
Rivers are damp
Acids stain you
And drugs cause cramp
Guns aren't lawful
Nooses give
Gas smells awful
You might as well live.

I think its pretty self explanatory and if someone doesn't get it,it means he is blessed with an optimistic yet naive outlook on life its debatable if that's actually better but enjoy it while you got it.Here's one more,not really on the same topic but I think still pretty good.

If I had a shiny gun,
I could have a world of fun
Speeding bullets through the brains
Of the folk who give me pains;

Or had I some poison gas,
I could make the moments pass
Bumping off a number of
People whom I do not love.

But I have no lethal weapon-
Thus does Fate our pleasure step on!
So they still are quick and well
Who should be,by rights,in hell.

No comments: