Monday, February 9, 2009

Keeping Up With The Joneses

In my capacity as someone who does what I occasionally do,I often have the opportunity to review blueprints.Recently I saw the blueprints for what will eventually be a finished basement or as its called in Lakewood,the town of newlyweds,a newlywed apartment.What I found odd about this was the fact that it was a three bedroom apartment.Considering the fact that Orthodox society strongly frowns upon premarital sex and teenage pregnancies,I assume most newlyweds are childless.That being the case,what the hell does a newlywed couple need three bedrooms for?

Due to my chronic laziness I will not question whether they can afford it or not.Nor will I try to figure out how or why people are buying things if they cannot afford it,something which I strongly suspect is the chief cause of the economic crisis,like William Cobbett said regarding this"Thousands upon thousands are yearly brought into a state of real poverty by their great anxiety not to be thought poor".

What I do intend to address is this-Keeping up with the Joneses(or whatever the Jewish version of Jones is)Are people so dissatisfied with themselves,they feel the need to impress others by imitating the possessions they purchased to impress you?Are people so shallow?(don't answer that)I don't mean to be crude or offensive,but if the Nazis were to build concentration camps today they would have no trouble filling it,all they need is to convince one person to go and the rest of the town will gladly and mindlessly follow thinking this is the hottest new place to be.Wake up people!The Joneses are the same assholes and morons that you are.Why would you follow them? If you're so unhappy with yourself,suicide is a tried and tested solution,copying other imbeciles will not make you happier.Start thinking for yourself,start living for yourself.If the concept of thinking for yourself is to foreign or difficult for you,there is another idea from Quentin Crisp worth trying,he said "Keeping up with the Joneses was a full time job for my mother and father.It was not until many years later when I lived alone that I realized how much cheaper it was to drag the Joneses down to my level."

No comments: